15.11.04

BBC

'UDA INTIMIDATING FAMILY'

The mother of an SDLP councillor who fired shots after a family car was attacked has blamed the UDA for intimidating them.

Danny O'Connor fired shots into the air when he was confronted by men who poured tar over the car in Larne, County Antrim.

The former assembly member said he feared for his life. Both Mr O'Connor and his mother were treated for shock.

The incident took place outside their house on Churchill Road at about 0045 GMT on Monday.

The O'Connor family have been attacked a number of times in the past by loyalist paramilitaries.

The gang ran off after the latest attack, but returned to confront Mr O'Connor a short time later.

He then fired four shots into the air from a legally held gun.

"I fired four quick shots over the top of their heads - they then ran away. I was really afraid for my life, to be honest with you."
Danny O'Connor
SDLP councillor


No members of the gang, who ran off, were injured.

Mr O'Connor's mother, Rosaleen, accused the outlawed paramilitary UDA (Ulster Defence Association) of hounding her family.

Northern Ireland Secretary Paul Murphy's decision to recognise the UDA's ceasefire came into effect at midnight on Sunday.

The UDA said it committed itself to working towards the end of all paramilitary activity.

However, Mrs O'Connor said: "So much for Paul Murphy and the UDA ceasefire - it wasn't even 45 minutes old when these scum came and attacked my home and my car.

"They have been at this for years and years. They attacked my husband, I buried him two years ago.

"They attacked my son - they pipe bombed him and threatened him - I buried him a year ago. Am I going to have to bury my other son or myself?"

'Four quick shots'

Danny O'Connor said he saw two figures on security cameras at his home and thought it was the police.

"By the time I went out, I realised that it wasn't the police and that I was in a bit of danger," he said.

"This disgusting attack was carried out by cowardly, diehard bigots who, over the years, have brought shame and misery on the community of Larne.
Sean Neeson
Alliance Party


"There was one fella who looked to be in the act of throwing something - I don't know if it was a stone or a pipe bomb - but at the time when you have to react to something like that everything just seems to happen instantaneously.

"I was really scared, because I thought it might have been a pipe bomb because my late brother had been pipe bombed.

"I fired four quick shots over the top of their heads - they then ran away. I was really afraid for my life, to be honest with you."

Ulster Unionist MP Roy Beggs said: "Whoever sent this gang out to vandalise the property of an elected representative and harass him and his mother in the middle of the night should identify themselves and state why they are doing this."

Sinn Fein councillor Oliver McMullan said: "Local people and the O'Connor family believe that the UDA in Larne has been behind this campaign. It is ironic that the latest attack came on the very day that the UDA announced that they were pursuing a peaceful path."

Jack McKee, an alderman on Larne council, said: "Now that all loyalist paramilitaries have declared a ceasefire attacks like this should be a thing of the past."

Alliance Party assembly member Sean Neeson said: "This disgusting attack was carried out by cowardly, diehard bigots who, over the years, have brought shame and misery on the community of Larne."


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?