2.1.05

BBC

Taxi driver in fire bomb ordeal
The Continuity IRA has claimed responsibility for the operation.


A taxi driver who was forced to drive a fire bomb to a city centre police station has said he is too frightened to go back to work.

The device was put in his car after he picked up two men on Saturday night.They then ordered him at gunpoint to drive to Grosvenor Road police station.

Army technical officers made safe the incendiary device which contained a large quantity of petrol.

The Continuity IRA has claimed responsibility for the operation.

'Still shaking'

The taxi driver, who did not want to be identified, said he was still recovering from the shock of what happened.

He said: "They told me I had 20 minutes to drive down to Grosvenor Road.

"My life went by me as I drove down the road. It has been a long time since I cried but tears just rolled down my face.

"I thought my life was away. I'm sitting here now and I'm still shaking."

The taxi driver picked up two men from a depot at Upper Donegall Street in the city about 1930 GMT on Saturday.

After placing a suspicious object wrapped in a bin bag into the back seat, the driver was ordered to go to Grosvenor Road police station while the assailants made off on foot.

Chief Inspector Peter Farrar from West Belfast DCU said he had hoped such incidents were confined to the past.

He said: ''This was a very frightening ordeal for a taxi driver who was just out earning a living on New Year's day.

"He was ordered at gunpoint to drive a highly unstable incendiary bomb through the built-up Lower Falls area to Grosvenor Road police station.

"Those assailants who forced him to do this were not only putting their lives and the lives of the taxi driver at risk but also the lives of the local residents and police.''

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?