27.12.03

ira2

Army `spy' in bid to expose agent's life of crime
Impartial Reporter
18 Dec 2003

A man who admits spying for the British Army in Fermanagh in the
1990s is mounting a legal bid to "expose" another army agent still
living in Enniskillen.
Sam Rosenfeld, a Londoner, lived in Irvinestown for three years until
1993 under the assumed name of Tommy Doheny. He says he worked
undercover and passed intelligence information to his army handler.

The spy says he worked closely with another man, who is still
living in Enniskillen. Rosenfeld says he wants to expose this man who
has been involved in serious crime, including drug dealing, money
laundering and "bringing subversives into Northern Ireland."

However, the man was allowed to continue his life of crime
because he was an agent for the security forces.

Even more seriously, Rosenfeld believes the man has questions to
answer over a person's suspicious and violent death in the county.

"There was an investigation into that loss of life, and I believe
he was there that day the person died," said Rosenfeld. "At the end
of the day, human life is sacred. Nobody has the right to take life,
and cover it up with the excuse of national security."

Rosenfeld has given the name of the intelligence agent to the
Impartial Reporter, but we are not publishing it for legal reasons.
The former spy has been keeping his identity secret since leaving
Northern Ireland in 1993, but voluntarily emerged into the public eye
last week when he served a witness summons on alleged Belfast agent,
Freddie Scappaticci, alias "Stakeknife." He says he is responding to
attempts by the Ministry of Defence to have him arrested to silence
him.

"I want to get these people into court to answer questions which
will clear my name," Rosenfeld told the Impartial Reporter. "Another
man in Enniskillen is well-known and apparently respectable. But I
want to see him held accountable, he destroyed my life."

Rosenfeld alleges that while in Fermanagh, he spied on terrorist
groups, passing on information. He worked solely with the Enniskillen
agent he is now pursuing through the courts.

"Stupidly, I trusted the Army," said Rosenfeld. "I didn't do
anything wrong, and everything they asked me to do he was involved
in. But then I discovered that he was involved in all sorts of crime,
which was swept under the carpet because he was gathering
intelligence for the Army."

As Rosenfeld became increasingly disillusioned in the early
1990s, he claims he was ruthlessly dealt with. Firstly, his home was
raided by security forces, and his partner, pregnant at the time,
subsequently lost her baby.

Then he was charged in connection with a stolen car; charges
which he believes were fabricated to discredit him. When it came to
court in 1993, he was told to leave Northern Ireland.

"There isn't a morning I waken up but don't think of that little
daughter who is buried in Breandrum cemetery in Enniskillen," says
Rosenfeld. "And before I go to bed at night, I think of her. I can't
even go to see her grave.

"I have never been told the reason for the raid on my home which
led to her death. A police officer laughed in my face at my loss at
the time, and said `you're next.' I have suffered a great deal as a
result of all this."

Rosenfeld insists: "That man in Enniskillen and all the others
must be exposed. He is not an innocent man; he knows who I am talking
about and I will not rest until I get him into a court of law."

An emotional Rosenfeld went on: "I sat in an office in Aughnacloy
with an Army Colonel, who told me to forget what happened to me and
move on. How can I? I need answers, I need closure. I've been fobbed
off for 11 years; they can shoot me, they can cut me into pieces, but
as long as I have a breath, I'll keep going until I see these people
in court."

Claims of crime during undercover work by British agents in
Fermanagh during the "Troubles" are not new. Following revelations
that the Army's "Force Research Unit" engaged in murky activities
throughout the Province have led to a file being sent to the Director
of Public Prosecutions on Gordon Kerr, a senior officer based at St.
Angelo barracks near Enniskillen. Sam Rosenfeld's army handler was a
member of FRU, the group within the army responsible for tough
counter-terrorism measures. It has been alleged that this unit's
activities resulted in collusion with loyalists involved in murder.





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?